News From Around the Web
#1 January 6 Rioters and Trump Allies Eye $1.8 Billion ‘Weaponization’ Fund - Dan Rosenzweig-Ziff for Reuters, NEWSMAX, Yahoo News, The Hill, The Wall Street Journal, Douglas Farrar, and Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick on X
Since President Donald Trump's administration announced the creation of a $1.776 billion fund for Americans deemed to be victims of political "weaponization," January 6 Capitol riot defendants and other Trump allies have scrambled to figure out how to get their share. Enrique Tarrio, the Proud Boys leader sentenced to 22 years for seditious conspiracy over the January 6, 2021, riot, said he planned to apply to the fund, assuming he could get between $2 and $5 million. "I'm not greedy," Tarrio said. "But my life was all fucked up because of this."#2 US Indicts Former Cuban President Raúl Castro Over 1996 Downing of Planes - NBC News, Patriot, Al Jazeera English, Reuters, Geller Report, and LaylaTexas77 on X
The Justice Department indicted former Cuban President Raúl Castro on Wednesday in connection with the 1996 shooting of two civilian planes that killed four Cuban exiles. Castro, 94, who is the brother of the late revolutionary leader Fidel Castro, is being charged with conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals, murder, and destruction of aircraft, according to acting U.S. Attorney General Todd Blanche. Five other men, who were Cuban fighter pilots involved in the shooting, were also indicted...#3 SpaceX Files for Long-Awaited Public Stock Offering That Could Make Elon Musk a Trillionaire - David Goldman and Chris Isidore for CNN, The Associated Press, News 4 Buffalo, KTLA, KSL NewsRadio, Olga Nesterova, and Igwebuike_Ndife on X
awaited plans for what could be one of the largest ever public offerings. Gonzalo Fuentes/Reuters SpaceX revealed its long-awaited plans to go public on Wednesday, shedding light on the finances and leadership of one of the largest, best-known, and yet most secretive private companies in history. Elon Musk’s rocket and satellite company revealed previously undisclosed details, including its board members, sales, profit, expenses, and how it does business. It will trade under the ticker symbol SPCX. One thing it didn’t disclose: How much the company expects to raise and what the company could be worth in what is widely predicted to be the biggest-ever initial public offering – perhaps by a factor of three...#4 Bloodbath Brews at NPR Due to Federal Funding Cut — as 300 Buyouts Offered - Ariel Zilber for New York Post, WnyPoker, The Post Millennial, WFAE, and Tom Benson on X
NPR is slashing jobs and restructuring its newsroom as the public-radio giant grapples with a financial crunch fueled by federal funding cuts, weakening station revenue, and dramatic changes in how Americans consume news. The nonprofit broadcaster told staff this week that roughly 300 employees, mostly on newsgathering desks, are eligible for voluntary buyouts as executives scramble to close an $8 million budget gap. NPR management expects only about 30 employees to accept the buyouts voluntarily, meaning layoffs in the 425-strong newsroom could follow if too few workers opt in. The downsizing comes during a grim moment for the news biz, with the Washington Post seeing brutal cuts and CBS News launching layoffs earlier this year...
#5 End of an Era as Schlitz, the Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous, Pours Its Last - Corky Siemaszko for NBC News, Steven S., jimfaust, Blondelady2024, Washingtons ghost, and Tom Vierhile on X
It’s last call for Schlitz, the beer that made Milwaukee famous. The Pabst Brewing Co. has confirmed it is ceasing production of the iconic lager that has quenched the thirst of American beer drinkers for 177 years.“Unfortunately, we have seen continued increases in our costs to store and ship certain products and have had to make the tough choice to place Schlitz Premium on hiatus,” Zac Nadile, Pabst's head of brand strategy, said in a statement last month to Milwaukee Magazine. That means other retro beer brands in what could be called the Pabst portfolio, like bottles of Blatz and Old Milwaukee, will also be harder to find, the magazine reported...
#6 Vanessa Trump Says She Has Been Diagnosed With Breast Cancer - Meredith Deliso for ABC News, Nancy Kerner, Yahoo News, Hollywood Life, WSFA 12 News, and Sassafrass84 on X
Vanessa Trump, the former wife of President Donald Trump's eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., said she has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. She made the announcement Wednesday in a post on Instagram, writing, "While this isn't news anyone expects, I'm working closely with my medical team on a treatment plan." Trump, 48, said she had a procedure earlier this week, though did not elaborate. "I am staying focused and hopeful while surrounded by the love and support of my family, my kids, and those closest to me," she said. Members of the Trump family offered their well-wishes following the announcement, with Donald Jr.'s sister Ivanka Trump commenting on the post, "Praying for your continued strength and a swift recovery. Love you, mama."
#7 Stephen Colbert Hosts “The Late Show” One Last Time Tonight as Franchise Ends After 33 Years - Kierra Frazier for CBS News, Brian Allen, Lucas Sanders, LateNighter, Mike LaChance, and KTRE News on X
The iconic Ed Sullivan Theater marquee lights up, and Stephen Colbert takes the stage one last time for the final broadcast of "The Late Show" on CBS Thursday night, before the curtain comes down on more than 30 years of late-night TV history. In the days counting down to the franchise finale, a stream of prominent guests and fellow late-night hosts took their place in the seat beside Colbert to share stories, laughs, and some emotional moments. Actor Tom Hanks gifted him a typewriter. "The Daily Show" host Jon Stewart brought something to help him relax: two massage chairs and a surprise serenade from Andra Day...
#8 House Passes Trump-Backed Housing Bill - NEWSMAX WIRES, Rep. April McClain Delaney, Katherine Hapgood, PMac, jim, and ABC12WJRT on X
Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., hailed House passage of the bipartisan 21st Century ROAD to Housing Act on Wednesday, calling it "transformational legislation" designed to address America's worsening housing affordability crisis and help restore the American dream for working families. The legislation passed with overwhelming bipartisan support after House Republicans, Senate negotiators, and the Trump White House reached a compromise on several contentious provisions, according to Politico...
#9 Where Is This Republican Congressman? No One Knows Where He Is - Matt Vespa for Townhall, Congressman Tom Kean/Senator John Blutarsky, 7 Things Prop 50 Has in Common with the Salton Sea, NOTUS, Paul Kane, @googeliart.bsky.social, and Emmyjo on X
Where the hell is this guy? Rep. Tom Kean (R-NJ), who is also defending one of the most vulnerable districts in the 2026 cycle, has been absent for weeks. His last vote in the House was on March 5. We know he’s dealing with a health issue. He is supposedly set to return soon, whatever that timeline means. Not even Speaker Mike Johnson knows where he is (via CNN). GOP House Republicans have grown increasingly concerned by Rep. Tom Kean Jr.’s mysterious absence from the chamber. Now his father, former New Jersey Gov. Tom Kean Sr., is seeking to offer assurances that his son will be returning soon — though he, too, declined to offer any specifics as to why the congressman has been out of the public eye for more than two months.#10 Ballroom Won’t Be Funded After Senate GOP Drops $1 Billion Trump Security Request - Jordain Carney and Jennifer Scholtes for POLITICO, Claude Trepanier, Douglas Reimann, Leading Report/Useless Mostly/Suzy, and Sheldon Whitehouse/Reality Bites, Rep. Brendan Boyle on X
In a blow to the White House, Senate Republicans will remove a $1 billion Secret Service funding request that would help President Donald Trump’s ballroom project from their immigration enforcement funding bill amid internal objections. “We were told that the ballroom money is out,” Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) told reporters after a GOP lunch meeting Wednesday, adding he’d “like to read the text.” The decision to omit the security funding came after twin blows: Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough ruled over the weekend that the provision didn’t comply with the strict rules governing what Republicans can put in their filibuster-skirting bill because it funded activities outside of the Judiciary Committee’s jurisdiction...
